Wilcox

Downtown Wilcox, Nebraska

image republished from Wikipedia

125th Anniversary Celebration

The Village of Wilcox was approved as a town by the Kearney County Clerk on July 21, 1886. The village was incorporated on June 10, 1887. It got its name from Henry Wilcox, who purchased the town site with W.R. Sapp and opened the Bank of Wilcox in June of 1886.  Wilcox celebrated its 125th Anniversary on June 10, 11, and 12, 2011. There were many activities for all who attended, and the nice weather helped to make it a great weekend!

According to the 2008 U.S. Census Bureau, 334 people live in the Village of Wilcox. Another 437 people located in the rural areas call Wilcox home.

Wilcox is located 25 miles from Kearney, 20 miles from Minden, 12 miles from Holdrege, and 30 miles from Alma in South Central Nebraska.

Public Parks

Wilcox has a park with playground equipment, a shelter with picnic tables, public restrooms, and lots of grass and trees. This is the location for community activities such as the Annual Easter Egg Hunt and Independence Day celebrations with barbecues and music. It has also been the location for many family picnics and get-togethers. The park is located in the western part of the community.

There is a swimming pool open to the public that is operated by the Wilcox-Hildreth School and located north of the school. The pool offers Red Cross swimming lessons, water aerobics, and adult swim times, and is available for private rental.

All information about Wilcox courtesy of Wilcox Official website.

%d bloggers like this: